Tuesday, July 6, 2010

You May Change Someone's Life Today

I've always been told I write from the heart.

For 5 years I wrote a weekly column in our local newspaper called "View From the Front Porch". I wrote about everything...our daily life, our vacation mishaps, fitness and health as well as our family chaos. Some columns were warm and fuzzy while others were straight from "Roseanne".

Each week I would put little pieces of me out for all the world {my tiny part of it} to read. Each week my readers would stop me in the grocery store just to let me know how my words had made an impact on their life. 

Each week I was amazed that something I had written meant so much to someone else.

It was a wonderful time in my life.

For the past 9 months I have kept up my blog Words of Me Project. Along the way I've met the most inspirational women and friends. I have written some posts I'm really proud of and some just to fill up space. In all I have 145 posts and 78 Followers.

I write for many reasons.

Because I love it
I am passionate about sharing my story
I have something to say
Without writing I may go insane
It means so very much to me


"Never desert your own line of talent. Be what nature intended you for, and you will succeed."  -Sydney Smith


My friend, Becky Greely read every single one of my columns.

Every. Single. One.

I know this because every time she saw me at Wal-Mart or Hy-Vee she would say...

"Les, I read your column this week. It was exactly what I needed to hear. Thank you and remember to keep on writing."

One day Becky stopped me in the store to tell me she had been diagnosed with breast cancer. She had opted not to do chemo but rather eat only raw foods.

Her courage inspired several columns.

The summer before Becky died she sent me a letter. She told me this...

"Les, God has given you a gift. He wants you to be a writer. He wants you to continue to inspire and uplift others. Don't ever stop writing. If you do you will be giving up your calling."

I still have that letter. I treasure that letter.

I have never given up writing.

"On earth we have nothing to do with success or results, but only with being true to God, and for God. Defeat in doing right is nevertheless victory."  -Frederick W. Robertson


It is such a pleasure to have my Blog. To write. To {hopefully} uplift and inspire you. To make you want to be a better YOU. To get you excited about your days. To help you want to be a better wife, mom and friend. To sing and be crazy silly. To take more time with your kids, your spouse and you. To find what it is you love to do. Your passion.

"No one is useless in this world who lightens the burden of it for anyone else."  -Charles Dickens

Lately, my life feels out of sorts. The economy has really put a dent in our business. This year, for the first time ever we may not be going on our vacation. I have been looking forward to spending time with just my kids and husband for so many months.

I have been feeling sorry for myself. Feeling like "life isn't fair".

I have been down. Mad. And depressed.

But then...something happened. I began reading a few of my favorite blogs this morning. Each one had a message just for me {or so it seemed}. Courtney wrote about the "storm" swirling around her this very moment and how she could feel God's hand in her life even amongst the chaos. Then I stopped by Nie's blog and was reminded my struggles don't even compare with the adversity this brave soul has had to endure.
Soraya reminded me how much I am looking forward to learning more about drawing and painting and how I can do those things without spending a dime.:)
Shona's blog took me to beautiful and serene Ireland this morning. Such lovely images!!

We, as women, as writers continually bless each other's lives. When one of us is up the other may be down. You may say exactly what needs to be said at that very moment. You may have a profound impact on someone without ever knowing it.

And, so...that is why, no matter how busy we get, how mad, sad, depressed or overwhelmed we get with our life...

We must continue to share.


"There is no exercise better for the  heart than reaching down and lifting people up."  -John Andrew Holmes, Jr.

Has there been a blog that has lifted you up recently? I would love for you to share it with us today!! Also...what are some ways you can use your talents and gifts to help someone out today?

13 comments:

  1. Leslie~
    This is a WONDERFUL post . . . meant for me to read. I just joined the Artistic Mother group last month, and saw your post there. As I'm reading, I am thinking, how similar I have felt. And as I scroll down reading, I see that you also just took Flying Lessons with Kelly Rae. . . me too. So great to find you here. And I agree about using your gift to write. Sometimes it feels like my words just go out into a void and I wonder if they make a difference. And then, I stumble upon a blog like yours and find comfort. I am not the only one. You are not the only one. Have a lovely day and thanks for sharing!
    grace,
    ~jodi shaw of Opened Door
    www.jodeneshaw.blogspot.com
    jjtsshaw@gwtc.net

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post, Leslie. I'm so glad you share your words with us, and I feel lucky to have found your blog to read and appreciate very much why you stop by mine. Thanks for reminding us why we do this. There are people in my life who don't really understand why I "waste" my time writing to "no one". If there is only one person I reach, then that's good for me. And if it's no one, that's ok too ... sometimes it's just good to get it out. I know how it feels to have your life out of balance -- go with the flow, change your expectations a bit and you will see it's not really that bad. Have a beautiful day!

    ReplyDelete
  3. keep writing sweet friend...if you weren't, we would not have met...and your blog post today was so very encouraging and comforting...i too often find just what i need emotionally when i am blog hopping...we're all lookin' for somethin'...and you, for one, are delivering...
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the quotes you have in here!
    Oh and Now you have 79 followers! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. WOW! That is so neat that you had your own column in a newspaper.
    So many times we touch peoples lives that we will never get to meet or even know that we made a difference. At least in that one case she was able to tell you just how much your words touched her heart....that is AmAZiNG!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I thought I was a follower but I couldn't find myself as a follower so NOW I am your 80th follower. If you find that I was already a follower, you can remove me.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Dear Leslie-this is such an amazingly wonderful post! I love it and thanks for opening up your heart to share it with us. You are so right-we all have stories to tell, to share and it is in the telling that we empower each other and our SELVES (our higher self). When we speak the truth, without artifice or competition or fear ...that is where our powers and gifts lie. thank you so much for coming into my life and ...writing as you do...with truth and grace!
    Also-thank you so much for all your kind words and comments that you left on my blog-I sent you an e-mail about a week ago but maybe you didn't receive it? Here it is:
    Dear Leslie-I would be absolutely thrilled and honored to do an interview with you! I have read the past two you did and they were amazing! I really love the questions you ask...they give you insight into the person as well as their craft. You are a great interviewer! Also-thank you so much for all the support you have given me on my blog-all those comments you leave really go a long way!
    P.S. I have not even read the Twilight series yet but am just dying to. I have heard so much about them but...I have no time right now:( I will get around to it one day!
    Hugs xxx Soraya
    P.S. Tim has been over here for the 4th of July and leaves tomorrow:( I hope you had a great holiday weekend. I am also glad that you may take up painting (?)...just try it! I will help in any way I can-just ask.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Leslie! I find myself tearing up as I read this post...I have struggled so long with this idea of purpose and "calling" and life as GOD would have me live it. And I am learning (again) this morning as I sit at my computer that connection is what life as GOD intended is all about.

    So here is my contribution of another place to vist: Jacqueline over at so cute it hurts (yes,the name FITS!) http://jqlinesocuteithurts.typepad.com/

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh, Les! You are so amazing!!!

    I read this post earlier today and wasn't able to comment at that moment, but have been thinking about it all day long. This post was SO "from your heart", as all of your posts are. And I am so grateful for YOU! YOU constantly "lift me up" ... for real. Yours is the first post I read when I see there is a new one out there - and I am so happy and blessed to call you my friend. Hang in there ... continue to focus on the GOOD and what really matters ... and the good shall be returned to you. Love you dear friend!

    ReplyDelete
  10. thanks for your comment on my blog. and I just wanted to say that THIS is what I love about you - you always find a way to see the light in things.

    ReplyDelete
  11. beautiful post Les!!! I needed this today. I read Nie Nie, thats how I keep my trials in perspective. Her attitude is mind boggling.

    Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a beautiful post! From the heart and with so much kindness - you are inspiring even here - in the post where you talk about other's inspirations - I love your straightforward style and reminder to be our best selves . . .
    You know, I really found such camaraderie in the Artistic Mother's - before the group I only did art challenges but the Mothers I have come to meet there have really taught me a lot about myself - as a Mother and as a friend - and that I am often not the only one with the same hope and hassles! It has been really good for me - glad you are a part of it!
    Thank you for your beautiful post,
    Kristin xo

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your thoughts and ideas...they inspire me!! I will be visiting you soon. Have a CREATIVE day!!