Sunday, June 2, 2013

Week One-What's Your Routine??

"Great things are not done by impulse, but by a series of small things brought together."  -Vincent Van Gogh

UPDATE AUGUST 2017

I am so grateful YOU are here! This is my most pinned and viewed class....so THANK YOU for being here! I PROMISE the next 52 weeks you will GROW so much!! I invite you to my on-line Facebook Group...Brave Heart Sisterhood Mixed-Media Art.  Stop by, introduce yourself and let me know you are taking this class!! Use the hashtag #braveheartsisterhood and #wordsofmeproject so I can see what you are up to. Thanks again!!

Leslie 

Welcome Girls to my year long gift to you and to myself..."Being Me"!! This class has come at a time in my life where I am done living from day to day with just enough "happy" in me to barely get by. I am ready for some full-time JOY and energy to enjoy my family, my art and to fulfill all my dreams. The time is NOW to get my groove on and I intend on giving you and myself everything in my heart.



Each topic I have chosen comes with much thought and love. This is something I am taking very seriously and it's important to me that you know that. Several of you have asked me if you have to do the art part. Of course not. You take this class and do what inspires you!! For me...the art is very healing so most weeks I will be creating something in my art journal and sharing here with you. But if that's not your thing...then please know it's not necessary.



Okay...are you ready?? Are you as excited as I am to add more JOY and LoVE to your life and to BE the TRUE YOU???

I am SOOOO READY!!!


Week One ROUTINE

"The man who removes a mountain begins by carrying away small stones."  -Chinese Proverb

Ahhhh...how many times have you started a new fitness program or eating program or art challenge and told yourself that this time...no matter what...you would do it and never, ever mess up or give up?!! I have done this nearly every Monday for the past 2 years. I have...I admit it. I am slightly embarassed by it...but I have done that. I start out with the best of intentions but usually by the third day or so (or heck sometimes later that same day) somehow I make a mistake, I eat too much or I don't get the art challenge finished or something and I just quit.

That is NOT gonna happen in the next 52 weeks. You wanna why?? Because THIS TIME, girls...we are gonna give ourselves some slack. We are gonna take our mistakes and our failures and learn from them. We are gonna learn why we mess up and why we sometimes just don't do as good as we want to do. This time we have each other, too!! And that is huge!! It. is. HUGE. Support is everything and just knowing we all have each other and we all are stronger in some areas than others...well, that just makes it all easier somehow ya' know? We are gonna lift one another up and cheer each other through the difficult times.



The past year and a half has been the hardest of my life. I won't go into any details today...but I will tell you that I have let myself go...majorly go. I just don't have that spark in my day. I drag myself out of bed, I eat waaaaay to many bad things and my creativity has been stagnant. I KNEW I needed a boost of energy so I decided to go to something that had worked in the past...a morning routine.

Looking back...I realize just how much of an effect a morning routine has had on my life. And I realized the past year and a half...I haven't had one...at all. Not even a glimpse of one.
Sooooo...a few weeks ago I decided to map out my routine and start doing it.




I knew I needed to add quiet time to my days and art and scripture study. I also knew that all of these would be the perfect way to begin my day. So I told myself to just do it!! So each morning as soon as I wake up I head to the kitchen for a tall glass of ice, lemon and water. I bring it upstairs to my art studio and get quiet. No music allowed during this half-hour. Then I take out my planner, something spiritual to read and anything else I think I need. I begin my Morning Routine with a prayer thanking my Father in Heaven for all my blessings and then asking Him to bless my day. I read something spiritual either from my Scriptures or a church magazine or book. I'll jot down any thoughts that touch me that day in a special journalI have just for this time. After 15 minutes or so I am ready to think about what I intend on doing for the day. I look at my calendar and make a list. Sometimes it's too long...but I write everything down that's in my head. I figure it's better on paper and will eventually get done that way:)

I am finding the more I do my routine the more I am crossing off my To-Do list and the more I am creating!! I mean seriously, girls...my creativity has gone from a 1 or 2 to a 5 or 6...it is growing by leaps and bounds just because I am doing something everyday. The art part isn't always in the morning...sometimes its just when I can fit it in...and it's not one loooong session but rather a bursts of 3 or 4 a day. It may be as simple as painting one layer in my journal...but one layer at a time adds up to a finished page by the end of a day:)

The second part of my new Morning Routine happens after my quiet time....I head out the door for a walk. Honestly I am still working on being consistent with this. It's taking time and I am not beating myself up over it. Little changes daily add up to big results over time. I am truly a believer in that. (it only took most of my life to figure that one out).


I LOVE this quote by artist Jennifer Lee...

"I know that by simply sticking with the process and being open to the unexpected, I create a channel to creative inspiration and that's a mighty powerful thing."

I would like to add my thoughts to this quote and say that by sticking with a Routine, whether it's for creativity, exercise, eating healthy...whatever...it's a mighty powerful thing.

Girls...I want you to take this week and come up with your own ROUTINE. For some of you mornings may not work...and that's ok. Just come up with a 30 minute ROUTINE that helps your day go better. Routines keep us in control of our time. And isn't time one of the most valuable commodities there is? This Routine is the most important part of our journey over the next 52 weeks. It is our foundation. It is sacred time spent with yourself each and everyday.

Time well spent.

"When you SHINE, you light the way."  -Jamie Ridler

Girls, it is our time to SHINE!!

Remember to share your pages, thoughts, ideas, etc in our FB group Mind.Body.Soul.




59 comments:

  1. I once knew but forgot,is this a free class ? Denise

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! i need something like this. I have been feeling depressed and anxious for some time now. I have a routine, but it didn't include quiet time. I think this is what i was missing. Thank you.

      Delete
  2. What a great start! Love your morning routine. Will have to rework mine - it always seems a blur.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great start, Leslie! I love the sound of your morning routine. I start the day taking care of the girls' breakfast needs and making sure I get the coffee brewing, but I'm a little aimless while they play or watch TV--before our appointments or errands for the day kick in. I like the idea of being more intentional about how I spend this time.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is exactly what I need right now. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's like you are echoing my life - I totally need this.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thankyou for giving this away , life is hard at the moment. My Dad is dying and I am at the end of a year long course, with deadlines and assignments....... BUT, I need and crave art and escapism.
    My Dad dying makes me question my own mortality and loss and so much more - I feel that this year , with this course, I will do my repair of me.... thankyou xxxxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am so very sorry to hear abour your Dad I lost mine 17 years ago this month...I know how you are feeling!! I am honored to have you here and help you on your path. xoxo Leslie

      Delete
  7. You are always such an inspiration! I love how much you put into everything you do! THIS will be a great year for you I just know it!
    AND thank you for playing along with the SOC and all of your support over the years :)
    (and guess what? I don't even have the mag yet! The mail fairy never came and my small town doesn't have the mag in stores yet. Boo. I had to get the page numbers from Daniele :- ) But thank you for your congrats :)))
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  8. My morning routine is none existant, if I'm working I get out of bed as late as possible before leaping in the shower getting dressed and running out the door. When I'm not working I stay in bed until after lunch and stay in my jammies all day :( thank you for planting the seed. This project excites me xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. Routine. A fitting start when I've been thinking of all this on my own too. I am not an early waker, I'm a late stayer upper... it has just recently started occurring to me that I can do what others do in the morning at night before bed. Now, to implement it? That's a different story. Thanks for the challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Just popped over from Cheri's blog & love the idea of these 52 weeks! I always do better when I stick to a morning routine, however I took a part-time teaching job this past semester & it threw everything out of whack. Now that school is out, I want to get back to my healthy breakfast, quiet time & exercise ride on the stationary bike.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thank you for this life changing event, my life is out of order. I pray my routine begins with keeping up with you daily.
    God Bless!!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I started morning pages nearly a year ago, as part of The Artist Way. I am doing one chapter a month as opposed to one a week - far too much pressure and unrealistic with my busy life. When I finish I shall be starting again and inviting others to join me - having people to journey with is good for the soul and commitment. That's why this project is good. Thank you for the invitation and as for my routine, well, daily morning pages which are written at any available time in the day and if I do miss one I give myself a hug and carry on next day.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Ahhh... routine with a traveling husband and busy 3 year old lasted about 12 hours...so working on a new, simplified version. Looking forward to this year!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh this is exciting! I'm sooooo in! Hopefully I'm not too late to the party-- with a 9 month old my morning routine has been whatever is going on with her since she was born -- but hey! I can't be letting my kids dictate every second of my day for the rest of my life! Here's to getting my morning routine down . 30 mins seems manageable


    www.mygrandestadventure.com

    ReplyDelete
  15. This idea is great I'm going to my space to get my routine area ready!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Just found you......Love this and thanks!.....perfect Timing for ME.......made myself a journal for this project starting June 1st 2015.....:-)
    ET

    ReplyDelete
  17. Nothing like a fresh start, every morning, on a predictable and chosen foundation. Years ago, when I was first trying to reorder my life, I discovered the absolute magic of early morning. I was a busy mom with kids in school, work, housework,and on and on and on.... but when I started getting up for a quiet time with the Lord and a four mile walk with a friend which we did in one hour --- that was a life changer. Before the world started demanding my attention-- I gave myself the care i needed. So-- getting to bed in anticipation of solid sleep and a morning rising for ME --- that was life changing. As I have moved into different stages of my life, I've let those foundations slip away and I'm paying the price. Thanks for starting with the most logtical place-- putting first things, first. I'm just seeing this 52 week invite and just learning about Art Journaling. I am craving the changes in my life that you seek for yours-- craving creative expression and so craving knowing I am not journeying all alone. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I am from Norway, but i really want to join. You inspire me.
    Do you want us to write here from each day, or how do people do it? :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. I know this is an old post, but it's super gold. I feel really inspired now, thanks so much for this article! <3

    ReplyDelete
  20. Ok I know I am way late but even though it is old can I join or did I need to be at a certian time like can I just go through the weeks? Thank you so much!!!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I'm so glad I've found this! This is exactly what I need right now, and I didn't even realise it! I set out looking for a father's day gift and somehow ended up here...but I shall be planning my morning routine tomorrow after church with my RM planner. Excited! :)

    ReplyDelete
  22. Ok I'm so in. It was the art journal part that caught my eye, but now I realise this is so much more! I just want to clarify does the facebook group still run and where do we find the at challenge each week or do we just make up something?

    ReplyDelete
  23. Happy to find this on Pinterest. Starting this now!

    ReplyDelete
  24. I found this a few days ago. I was so eager to get started the first of the year! Thank you. (Do you have a hashtag that goes along with this course?)

    ReplyDelete
  25. Thank you for your generosity..Cannot wait to get started!!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Thanks so much for the inspiration! I wil start today��, blessings

    ReplyDelete
  27. I just found this on Pinterest while looking for a roast recipe. I sooooo need this right now. I lost my sweet husband almost 2 1/2 years ago. We had been married 41 years. We also are raising 2 grandchildren. I need to be here (mentally) for them. A month ago I lost my daughter who was 38. Just so sad and I don't want to continue down this road. Staying in bed day after day. I'm looking forward to this journey. I recently began Bible Journaling and I paint so this is right up my alley. Today is Monday, great day to start on a morning routine. Thank you so much for this.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Hello everyone.. I just came across this; sounds very interesting! However i am a psychiatry nurse and my days differaccording to my changing shifts. I am tired and burnt out and I can't seem to for a morning routine into this. Help!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Thank you for sharing... this is exactly what i need... been wasting my life for years... and im fully in regret period...

    ReplyDelete
  30. I am very much exited ,being me.And this is my first week.

    ReplyDelete
  31. I am so excited for this challenge! I am working on rebuilding myself after a bad relationship! This is really going to help me break the cycle that has been going on in my head for so long!

    ReplyDelete
  32. I'm on the road to recovery in every sense of the word and this project is PERFECT for keeping me on track! So grateful for stumbling across this opportunity! Here. We. Go!

    ReplyDelete
  33. I want to try this, but I have a question . What about mom's? I have a high needs daughter who's Is awake at 4am every day. I don't have time alone in the morning because she wakes before me. Always. What does a person like me do?

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your thoughts and ideas...they inspire me!! I will be visiting you soon. Have a CREATIVE day!!