Monday, July 8, 2013

Week Six: Be Nice!


"He who would be useful, strong and happy must cease to be a passive receptacle for the negative, beggarly, and impure streams of thought; and as a wise householder commands his servants and invites his quests, so must he learn to command his thoughts he shall admit into the mansion of his soul."  - James Allen  

How do you talk to YOU?? Last winter it dawned on me that half of my problem was all the negative self talk I was doing. Sure, we were stressed out with all the bad stuff going on...but honestly...I know I would have felt better if I would have been nicer to ME!

When I really stopped to think about how I "talked" to myself...I realized that it had been a VERY LONG time since I had given myself a break. I was constantly putting myself down about the food I ate, the weight I had gained, the clothes I wore, the way I kept house, created, wrote in my blog, talked to others...it was really getting out of hand!




One morning I decided to do an experiment. Instead of bashing myself I decided to find all my positive attributes. So my pants were getting tighter...but my hair and make-up looked really nice that day. I even sat down with my journal and made a list of what I loved about myself. It was amazing how different I felt. On days I was constantly chastising myself I could literally feel the energy being drained from my body. It did nothing to help with my stress level either.

However on those days I made an effort to be nice...those days weren't so stressful. Those days I actually felt light-hearted and smiled more. I knew I was on to something.

This week I want you to BE KIND to yourself. NO negative self-talk allowed!! When you find yourself putting you down...just stop. Think about what it is you are saying. I think by the end of the week you will be AMAZED at how GOOD you feel about YOU!!!!


Just a bit of homework...along with your journal page...keep track of all the bad things you say to yourself. Keep a running list in your journal or even just a piece of scrap paper. The point is...is to really SEE where it is you are self-sabotaging yourself the most. For me I am AWFUL to myself when it comes to my body and my body image. I can be so MEAN to me!!!!
Cheerfulness, it would appear, is a matter which depends fully as much on the state of things within, as on the state of things without and around us.
-- Charlotte Bronte


I challenge you to CHANGE yourself from within this week by being kind to yourself. We can do this, girls!! And when we do...that is when our dreams really do start coming true!!How is the Challenge going so far?? I LOVE seeing your work!!52 Weeks
FB group

2 comments:

  1. This is such great advice, Leslie. It is sad how easy it is to fall into negative self-talk. And it just affects your whole day, your whole attitude, and how you treat others, too. I find myself giving myself little pep talks all the time. I try to be an encourager when I need it most! Sometimes I feel silly how often I do it, but it keeps me moving forward.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a big one for me. I am my own worst critic for sure. It has always been easy to be nice and forgiving and encouraging to others while totally beating myself up. Thanks for another great lesson.

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your thoughts and ideas...they inspire me!! I will be visiting you soon. Have a CREATIVE day!!