Monday, May 11, 2015

Paint Your Own Stickers



"Inspiration comes in a moment of no control."  -Andrea Kreuzhage

Sometimes (more often than not it seems) when I venture into my studio with every intention to create a beautiful, inspirational masterpiece...nothing comes. I sit and stare at my rainbow of paints, baskets of stamps and stencils, spray inks and vintage images...and...

....nothing.

It can be so frustrating. And yet during those times I do something. Painting backgrounds is one of my favorite things to do. So easy and organic. I can just let my mind roam free...relaxing, thinking, working whatever is on my mind out.

One day while doing this inspiration struck. I enjoy swapping happy mail with other artists and in one of my packages I had received hand painted label stickers...GENIUS! So I grabbed a pack I bought at the Dollar Tree and set out to make my own.




154 labels for a buck...how great is that? These were a bit small and next time I will get wider ones...but for this little experiment they were perfect.

I started by laying out a dozen label sheets and randomly painted turquoise and yellow on them.


I then selected a third favorite color and added.


After they dried the fun part began...stamping! I have so many stamps (and love them all!) but instead of taking time to choose which ones I would use...it was fun just picking the ones nearest to my workspace. I made sure to use Stazon Ink so they wouldn't smear.


Another photo...



The last step was taking my white Uni-Ball Signo and black Fude pens and adding words and doodles.


Next time I will use letter stamps, too.


My daughter's favorite color combo:)



Not only were these label stickers too fun to make but they have inspired me to keep trying new substrates to work on and have added to my Happy Mail stash!!

(If you would like to trade Happy Mail with me...let me know in the comments below. It's so fun!!)

Are you playing along with our Circle That Challenge in our FB group?? It's all about using circles in our art journals, ATC's, scrapbooks, index cards this month! If you haven't joined our FB group...you really should! It's a great way to connect with other artsy souls!! Go here so I can add YOU! 



Creativity exists in the present moment. You can’t find it anywhere else. -  Natalie Goldberg

5 comments:

  1. Now that does look like fun, and you have a great stash afterwards!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Now that does look like fun, and you have a great stash afterwards!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'd love to find out more about trading happy mail. Also, I just started a swap (posted on our FB group)...
    Envelope swap open. Details here: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Bailey-Earith-Bailey-Fiber-Art-Studio/18980467357

    ReplyDelete
  4. Super-duper cool, Leslie! I definitely want to try this!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Super-duper cool, Leslie! I definitely want to try this!

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your thoughts and ideas...they inspire me!! I will be visiting you soon. Have a CREATIVE day!!